Friday, August 27, 2010

Day One

DAY ONE

COUNTER SERVICE 

Roaring Fork
Disney's Wilderness Lodge


The very first meal on the dining plan didn't get me off to a good start! The selection at the hotel quick service restaurant was very limited. This was the best I could do for my entree and dessert. I left very, very hungry after this meal. I had a custom made salad with grilled chicken (very good, REAL chicken) and blue cheese. As my dessert, there was nothing acceptable except for a piece of fruit, in this case a green apple.

Custom Made Blue Cheese Chicken Salad and Apple

I leave the Wilderness Lodge hungry and hoping that our full service dinner reservation at Epcot (at Canada's Le Cellier steakhouse) will be better!

SNACK

The Land
Epcot


Low-carb snacks are VERY hard to come by at Disney parks! I was actually pretty shocked and disappointed and the limited options. Thankfully the food court at the Land pavilion in Epcot had a few Atkins-friendly snacks. The only thing I could find besides vegetable soup (it was 100 degrees and NOT a good day for soup) was individual pieces of fruit (bananas, apples, oranges - none of which are technically low-carb friendly) and this container of tuna salad. 

Tuna Salad Side at The Land pavilion in Epcot
The tuna salad was good and had no added sugars. I even gobbled down the piece of lettuce. Finally a satisfying snack! 

DINNER

Le Cellier Steakhouse
Epcot - Canada


Thank goodness for this steakhouse! I was so thankful that we had made reservations 180 days in advance for this dinner. FINALLY there was plenty to eat! There were many, many choices of steaks and low-carb-friendly food. 


I ordered a filet mignon that came with mashed potatoes. When I asked to substitute a vegetable for the potatoes, a very firm "NO" was the answer. The server informed me that I could substitute either scalloped potatoes or french fries for the mashed potatoes (!!!???). I just said bring whatever because I could not eat them. I was really surprised at the lack of accommodation at a very expensive restaurant (expect to pay around $50 per person to eat here). 


After I said I could not eat potatoes, the server prompted me with "is it a dietary restriction for health reasons?" I said yes, which is true. "If that is the case, we can substitute green beans for the mashed potatoes." Thankfully I was able to get green beans! They weren't very tasty and were definitely an afterthought, but I was just so happy to have something with my steak besides mashed potatoes. 


Delicious Steak
The steak was incredibly delicious and was served in a very large portion (except for the green beans - what, was there a shortage on beans or something)?? The steak was served with a mushroom cream sauce on top. To make sure I had enough food, I also ordered a side of grilled asparagus, which were fine. 


Grilled Asparagus
As a side note, if you are a bread fan, you might want to avoid eating here. It took all my willpower not to munch on the soft-from-the-oven sourdough and pretzel breadsticks that were offered at the table. They looked and smelled incredible, and my family said they were delicious. 


I was very happy to see a no sugar added dessert on the menu! This was the first one I'd seen so far at Disney World. A no sugar added dessert of course doesn't mean a NO CARB dessert, but I had been walking so much all day I wanted a treat. The dessert was a chocolate mousse and a raspberry sorbet duet. The portion size was miniscule (look at how huge the plate is - it is the same plate the asparagus were served on above), but that was probably a good thing!


No Sugar Added Dessert
Next up is Day Two on the Disney Dining Plan!

No comments:

Post a Comment